As we enter the new millennium, promoting sound mental health and positive behavior of adolescents has undeniably taken on greater significance than ever before. To that end, more and more research is confirming what many have suspected for years: environment and community surroundings have a major affect on an adolescenta (TM)s well-being and overall mental health. And because no single causal agent triggers teenage pathologya "and no one-size-fits-all treatment is availablea "the Handbook of Adolescent Behavior Problems offers a comprehensive and integrative biopsychosocial approach to effective practice.
This volume examines not only the psychological and genetic factors underlying dysfunction, it also explores the critical roles that family members, peers, and the larger community play in an adolescenta (TM)s life. It offers current interdisciplinary perspectives on adolescent development, both functional and pathological, and provides coverage that is clear, accessible, and practical on such topics as:
- Major disorders, including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, ADHD, PTSD, developmental delays, and conduct disorders.
- Behavior problems, such as substance abuse, sexual offenses, teen pregnancy, school failure, gambling, and gang violence.
- Best practices, reviewing what works (i.e., interventions that have been rigorously validated), what might work (i.e., those in need of further study), and what doesna (TM)t work.
- Residential interventions as well as community treatment.
- Risk and resiliency factors.
- Ongoing and emerging pharmaceutical issues.
Each chapter focuses on a specific behavior or disorder and is formatted to help readers quickly locate needed information.
The Handbook of Adolescent Behavior Problems provides a solid foundation for understanding the adolescent experience and the influence of the family and community as well as much-needed information on the development of evidence-based practices. It is designed to be a one-stop reference for anyone working with adolescentsa "developmental psychologists, clinical and school psychologists, and education specialists as well as for graduate students in these areas.
This title is not held in stock & is ordered from suppliers, subject to availability.
View other Thomas P Gullotta;Gerald R Adams titles like "Handbook of Adolescent Behavioral Problems: Evidence-Based Approaches to Prevention and Treatment"
Write a customer review of Handbook of Adolescent Behavioral Problems: Evidence-Based Approaches to Prevention and Treatment.
If you like this title please tell others:
Australian Bookshop. Established 2003