It's the literary equivalent of buried treasure! Seuss scholar/collector Charles D. Cohen has hunted down seven rarely seen stories by Dr. Seuss.
Originally published in magazines between 1950 and 1951, they include:
- "The Bear, the Rabbit, and the Zinniga-Zanniga " (about a rabbit who is saved from a bear with a single eyelash!);
- "Gustav the Goldfish" (an early, rhymed version of the Beginner Book A Fish Out of Water);
= "Tadd and Todd" (a tale passed down via photocopy to generations of twins);
- "Steak for Supper" (about fantastic creatures who follow a boy home in anticipation of a steak dinner);
- "The Bippolo Seed" (in which a scheming feline leads an innocent duck to make a bad decision);
- "The Strange Shirt Spot" (the inspiration for the bathtub-ring scene in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back); and
- "The Great Henry McBride" (about a boy whose far-flung career fantasies are only bested by those of the real Dr. Seuss himself).
In an introduction to the collection, Cohen explains the significance these seven stories have, not only as lost treasures, but as transitional stories in Dr. Seuss's career. With a color palette that has been enhanced beyond the limitations of the original magazines in which they appeared, this is a collection of stories that no Seuss fan (whether scholar or second-grader) will want to miss!
The perfect book for any Seuss fan, young or old!
About the Author
Theodor Seuss Geisel - better known to millions of his fans as Dr. Seuss - was born the son of a park superintendent in Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1904. After studying at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and later at Oxford University in England, he became a magazine humorist and cartoonist, and an advertising man. He soon turned his many talents to writing children′s books, and his first book - And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street - was published in 1937. His greatest claim to fame was The Cat in the Hat, published in 1957, the first of a hugely successful range of early learning books known as Beginner Books.
This title is not held in stock & is ordered from suppliers, subject to availability.