Discover why geothermal heat pumps are the most energy efficient technology for heating and cooling, and how all homes--new or retrofit, in hot or cold climates--can use this reliable, silent, non-polluting way of extracting free energy from the earth.
* Geothermal system options, including open-loop, closed-loop and DX configurations, using horizontal and vertical earth loops;
* The importance of finding a qualified contractor;
* Costs, tax credits and payback issues, plus calculating increased home values;
* Who is using geothermal energy, including the author?s firsthand experiences, home profiles from around the country as well as an overview of commercial/institutional projects;
* How solar electricity can be used to power the system, plus other future trends;
* Unraveling the science and technology of geothermal heat pumps (GHPs);
* Understanding GHP performance standards, ratings and warranties;
* Comprehensive appendix with helpful resources; (manufacturers, associations, etc.) and a career section for those interested in entering the field.
About the Author
Don Lloyd is an electrical engineer now retired from Honeywell after 35 years in marketing, engineering and project management. He has extensive experience in taking complex subjects (such as laser gyroscopes or mosaic infrared detectors) and explaining how they work in terms understood by the general public. He is at his best when giving lectures describing how geothermal heat pumps work and why they are the ideal heating and cooling solution for homeowners. Prior to entering the geothermal world, he operated his own software consulting business as a Microsoft Certified Software Professional. He also served as an officer in the US Army.
Don lives in the Hudson River Valley region of New York State with his wife, artist Martha Lloyd, in their new home where the oil trucks pass by but never stop. ?Installing a geothermal heat pump was one of the best decisions I ever made!?
As this book?s technical advisor, Michael Hunt contributed real-world experience gained from over 27 years of working in the geothermal heat pump industry. He has designed, consulted, and installed heat pump projects throughout North America, and as an accredited IGSHPA installation trainer, he has introduced proper GHP installation and design techniques to over 700 contractors and engineers. Michael is the founder of GeoFurnace Manufacturing Inc, a heat pump manufacturer in South Dakota. His residential and commercial experience includes heat load analysis, loop field design, conductivity testing and field installations, with system designs that include forced hot air, radiant, snow melt, pool dehumidification, domestic hot water and industrial process water applications. His expertise is often used to resolve heat pump and system imperfections, and he performs independent peer review of other system designs, design validation and commissioning.
This title is not held in stock & is ordered from suppliers, subject to availability.